Primary to Secondary Transition
Arriving at any new school can seem daunting, so from well before the Year 6 students leave Dunton Green we work with our pupils and local secondary schools to ensure that we make students feel completely prepared for the next step in their education. In the years before a student makes the transition they might be involved in or attend:
• Open Evenings
• Drama productions
• Sports events
• Lessons with visiting secondary teachers or by visiting secondary settings
• Gifted and Talented events with peers from other primary settings
• Older children visiting on work experience and 'service' days
• Visits to the Year 6 students from link tutors from the school they are assigned
• Taster / Transition Day
• Opportunities advertised for pupils to attend a variety of summer schools
Our Headteacher has worked hard to build strong relationships with local Secondary Schools and personally visits all of the schools that our children move on to.
Our children move to a range of secondary schools and we see it is our job to ensure that they are confident and independent in their transition.