Winter Weather Advice
Every winter brings the possibility of snow and ice. Extreme bad weather can cause widespread and prolonged disruption. Schools are often affected and it can be difficult to maintain an education service.
As a fundamental principle every effort must be made to keep schools open, even if only limited numbers of pupils can attend. However schools may close due to “unavoidable” circumstances. Those circumstances being that it is no longer safe for staff or pupils to be onsite.
We recognise that it is important our school remains open so parents are able to work and pupils can continue to learn. Dunton Green Primary School will make every effort to prepare for severe snow/ice this winter by gritting pathways, carrying out remedial repairs and limiting access points.
How will we let you know if the school is closed?
However, if we do experience sever snow/ice resulting in hazardous conditions, Mrs Rose (given that Miss Masson lives some distance away) may have to take the decision to close the school. Once this decision has been made we will notify parents via the Kent Closures website. To determine whether Dunton Green is open or closed visit www.kentclosures.co.uk. Search for the school in the search box. The Kent Closure website can also be used to find out if other services in Kent are open or closed, such as nurseries, children’s centres and libraries. We also recommend parents sigh up for SMS/Email alerts on the Kent Closures website. This service will send an SMS or email alert to let parents know if Dunton Green is closed. Parents can also listen to BBC Radio Kent or Heart FM to hear if the school has closed. We will also publish the information on the school website.
What can you do to help?
- Please visit www.kent.gov.uk/winter for more information about gritting routes and travel issues around Kent so you can plan your journey.
- Please approach the school carefully and DO NOT PARK directly outside the school gates under any circumstances
- Please can you provide a packed lunch from home in case school meals cannot be provided.
- Don’t forget suitable warm clothing – gloves, hats, scarves, wellies etc. or even a change of clothing.
- If you are a working parent or feel you may have a problem with a sudden earlier pick up, please could you put a back-up plan in place with another family member or parent and inform school. This will allow staff to leave earlier for their safety if the weather dictates.
Many thanks for your support in helping Dunton Green Primary School remain open during periods of severe snow/ice.